Why Visit Serafino?
- You love a good rags to riches success story
- You’re in search of Italian varietal wines while wine tasting down under
- You’re curious to taste some of the most awarded red wines in McLaren Vale
- You like to support family businesses
- You’re in search of a one-stop-shop in McLaren Vale where you can wine, dine, and stay over night
The Story of Serafino
My favorite aspect of going wine tasting, besides the wine of course, is discovering the story behind the wine. Who started the winery? What inspired them to do so? What is the winemaking philosophy here? Sometimes the stories are impressive and truly inspiring. Sometimes not so much. In the case of Serafino, the former is true.
The hard work commenced. Steve spent years working long hours doing all sorts of labor including knocking almond trees, concreting, and working at local wineries and vineyards. This meant very limited time with his young family, but Steve persisted with his dream in sight. Finally in 1972, his dream became a reality when he established his first vineyards and winery – Gully wines which went on to be named Maglieri Wines in 1982.
Serafino (Steve) Maglieri migrated to Australia from Italy when he was only a teenager. In 1964 he showed up with about $20, a tiny suitcase of clothes, and spoke very little English. But Steve had a dream. Armed with a passion for grape growing and winemaking, a love he discovered with his great grandfather back in Italy, Steve was determined to have his own successful vineyards and winery one day.
Steve’s wines went on to receive many accolades in Australia. He became the largest seller of a red variety in Australia for three consecutive years in a row. In 1979, 1992, and 2007, he was crowned the Bushing King for the best red wine in the McLaren Vale Wine Show. Steve’s wines garnered national attention with the award of best Shiraz at the Great Australian Wine Challenge. Then found international recognition with trophies for the best Shiraz and red wine at the London International Wine Challenge.
In 1999, the Maglieri family bought the 70 acre McLarens on the Lake property with the intention of establishing a new winery and a legacy for future generations. Today, the Serafino legacy encompasses 350 acres of vineyards, a 5,000 ton winery, a restaurant, a hotel with 40 room accommodation, a cellar door, a bottling line facility and warehouse, and wedding and event function space. And to think all of this resulted from the determination and dedication of a teenage Italian immigrant with little to his name besides a dream.
Not only is Steve a strong advocate for Australian wine and the McLaren Vale wine region, he is also revered for his business, philanthropic, and humanitarian efforts. In 1995 he received the National Australia Bank Ethnic Business Award for South Australia and the Northern Territory. He was awarded the “Cavalliere” title in 2005, becoming a Knight in the Order at Merit of the Italian Republic for his life achievements and charity work. Later, this ranking was extended to “Cavaliere Ufficiale” which is Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic. The highest ranking honor and most senior order of the Republic.
Today, the Serafino family legacy continues with Steve’s daughter at the helm of the business. Though, of course, Steve is still very actively involved.
Tastings & Experiences
Visiting Serafino is a must while in McLaren Vale. For the wines, yes, but also to see the gorgeous estate. The property is expansive, tranquil, and even has a beautiful lake. Visitors can rent bikes to ride the Shiraz trail over to the Willunga Farmers Markets or cruise into the McLaren Vale town center nearby.
No bookings are required for tastings at the cellar door and Serafino offers a massive selection of wines to choose from. The following tasting options are available:
- Explore Serafino McLaren Vale – Complimentary. A McLaren Vale flight of 4 tastings of the customer’s choice from the Black Label, Bellissimo, and Goose Island Ranges.
- Discover Serafino Italy – $10 per flight. A flight of 6 tastings of the customer’s choice from the Bellissimo range. Finish with a glass of La Brusco Mellow red (served chilled).
- Premium Serafino Tasting – $30 per flight. You automatically become a member of the Serafino Vino Club. Learn why Serafino is rated among the top 100 wineries in Australia with a premium tasting of the Serafino Iconic Wines.
- Discover Serafino Tour – $49 per person. Enjoy an unforgettable winery tour and discover the Serafino journey. Learn all about Serafino’s wine production cycle with a tour of their operating winery. Enjoy a raw wine tasting straight from the barrel or stainless steel tanks. Then visit the bottling line and finish with a cellar door tasting and grazing platter. Reservations required.
You can also book in to dine at The Serafino Restaurant which recently received a Chef’s Hat. Enjoy a multi-course contemporary meal paired with Serafino wines while overlooking Lake McLaren.
For more on McLaren Vale, click here.