Why Visit Patz & Hall Winery?
- You want to experience the characteristics of different vineyards in one sitting
- You love Chardonnay and Pinot Noir OR you have yet to find a Chardonnay or Pinot Noir you can get behind (prepare to change to your mind!)
- You love quality hospitality and relaxing in a beautiful setting with a special glass of wine
- You are staying in downtown Sonoma and would love to visit a winery a short Uber ride away
Pinot Noir is one of my all time favorite varietals and it’s safe to say I’ve had a wide array of styles of this special wine. However, I’ve never had a Pinot Noir quite like those of Patz & Hall in Sonoma. Let’s just say I’m a HUGE fan of this Sonoma gem.
This picturesque winery is located just a quick 10 minute drive from downtown Sonoma, making it the perfect stop after you’ve savored a Rhône inspired meal at the ever popular The Girl & The Fig. My family and I discovered Patz & Hall on our Christmas 2016 holiday to Northern California wine country. We wanted one last wine tasting stop following a delicious lunch at El Dorado Kitchen in downtown Sonoma before heading home down south. My parents had made an appointment at The Sonoma House at Patz & Hall knowing how much I love Pinot Noir and I have been in love ever since.
Patz & Hall Winery
Patz & Hall specializes in single vineyard Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, sourcing from the very best small, family-owned vineyards of the two varietals in Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino. By focusing on the two varietals, Patz & Hall is able to elevate the defining characteristics of each vineyard and produces wines with impressive depth and elegant nuances that remain true to the terroir of the vineyard from which they came. In my opinion, this is one of the most exciting aspects of wine – getting a sense of a new place simply by opening a bottle and having a taste.
In addition to exquisite wines, Patz & Hall has a gorgeous tasting room and extremely hospitable staff. Hospitality done well makes you feel at home and that is definitely the vibe you get when tasting at this winery. Be sure to call ahead for an appointment and take in the views as you drive up the long, polished, cypress-lined driveway leading to the tasting room. You can wine taste seated outdoors near the vines, at the wine bar or arm chairs inside, or in the cozy member lounge if you decide to join the wine club.
My dad was kind enough to surprise me with a Patz & Hall wine club membership after our Christmas 2016 visit. We opted for the all Pinot Noir option, as I have never been a big Chardonnay drinker. However, upon tasting some absolutely lovely Chardonnays during our Christmas 2017 visit to Patz & Hall, I decided to change my wine club shipments to now receive both Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Yes, the Chardonnay was that good!! So even if you don’t fancy yourself a glass of Chardonnay or Pinot Noir, I still recommend booking a visit to Patz & Hall because these refined, single-vineyard wines might just change your mind and open some new doors for you into the world of wine!
2015 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay | Sonoma Valley | 15 Barrels
- We learned the Durell Vineyard is a short 3 miles away from the Pats & Hall tasting room. 2015 was a very good year that followed a draught, thus producing very concentrated fruit. I could taste the complexities and textures produced from that dense fruit concentration. A little fresh peach, coconut, and sweet cedar on the nose with notes of pineapple, pear, and a bit of caramel on the palate.
- 2015 Durell Vineyard Chardonnay is a limited production Salon Society Exclusive Wine.
2014 Zio Tony Ranch Chardonnay | Russian River Valley | 22 Barrels
- This vineyard is owned by the Martinelli family who has been growing grapes in California since 1887. The Martinelli brothers purchased the ranch from their Uncle Tony, hence the name, and turned an apple orchard into a luscious vineyard.
- The bouquet is full of abundant notes of a variety of tropical fruits – cantaloupe, pineapple, peach, and mango with hints of smoke and spice. I could also smell the chalky minerals. The palate has a beautifully rounded mouthfeel with a great acidity, some fruit notes, and minerals.
- This wine would pair well with a slightly spiced, creamy clam chowder or langoustines in a butter cream sauce.
2014 Moses-Hall Vineyard Pinot Noir | Carneros | 23 Barrels
- A well balanced and enticing blend of both sweet and savory, this Pinot Noir delivers on all accounts. Aromas of black cherry and caramel give way to smoke, earth, and worn leather. On the palate, I got more red fruit, a nice warmth, and a tantalizing depth that started with well-structured tannins and smoothed out effortlessly on the palate. A truly beautifully integrated wine.
- This wine is a limited production Salon Society Exclusive Wine.
2014 Bootlegger’s Hill Pinot Noir | Russian River Valley | 20 Barrels
- A rich Pinot Noir with a bright acidity! The nose was slightly smokey with a bit of earthy must and hints of dried roses and black tea. This wine had elegant and complete layers that evolved on the palate. A big, rich Pinot that somehow manages to be precise and refined.